Life coaches help people discover their life’s vision, purpose, mission, and goals. Use this self-coaching exercise to begin to uncover yours.
Since specific requests have come in for this to be in writing, here’s an analogy using simple kitchen nesting bowls as food for thought. May God use it to help you discover and refine your vision, your purpose, and your mission here on earth. Judy Santos, a mentor, colleague and close friend, first shared this with me nearly 10 years ago. Since then it has been a litmus test of what to say yes to when I remember to be intentional and a useful tool for many life coach training students. I don’t know its original source so I am passing it on to you in memory of Judy who I miss terribly.
This is a brief overall statement… all else needs to be compatible with it (Largest bowl).
- A specific compelling image of the future that you hold
- The big picture result you want to see
- The legacy you want to leave
This is a brief statement that captures who you are and your part in bringing your vision to life.
- Your calling
- The underlying reason for being that gives your life meaning
- Your answer to the question “Why am I here on earth?”
- Your “being”, the essence of who you are. (“Doing” then flows out of this.)
Many things can be included as ways to operationalize what is important to you but they must all be compatible with your purpose and help make your vision possible.
- The particular ways you choose to fulfill your purpose in any given season
- Your “doing”
- “How” you will live out your purpose
What specific tasks need to be done and when they need to be done to actually accomplish your mission(s) in real life? Must be compatible with and contained within the mission, purpose, and vision. (Smallest bowl)
- “Dreams with a timeline for putting them into action”
- S.M.A.R.T.– specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-sensitive
- Goals need to be “as much as it depends on you”, within your ability and right to control. Goals apart from serving your mission or contingent on circumstances and people beyond you will be just a to-do list… not powerful goals.
Check back next week when I’ll illustrate this exercise by sharing my life’s vision, purpose, mission, and goals.
*Nesting bowl image courtesy of J. King. Used with permission.
TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT
- Now what about you? What would “Life on Purpose” look like for you?
- How would you benefit from prayerfully drafting your own vision, purpose and mission statements?
- What support do you need to put in place to make it happen?
A letter from God that explains why in the world I would start writing a blog at this point in my life… after procrastinating for years…
“Be a good steward of your gift. Be a good steward of your story. These are not separate entities but two facets of stewardship. You are a spark of energy. That spark requires air, the freely moving breath of God at the right time and in the right amount to ignite and cause you to be on fire. Your gift of exhortation can be fanned into flames as you exercise the discipline of writing.
Through your own story and the Truth that God has revealed in your own life regardless of how you felt, you can come alongside many. You can stimulate their faith and affirm them in the ways others have affirmed you (or maybe even more importantly, as you hoped they would.) This will involve doing a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given and then sinking yourself into that. It will be God-breathed and you’ll love it even when it is difficult at times.
Don’t waste time on those wanting only temporary solutions. Don’t waste your energy on those who are not interested in being encouraged in grace. Be on the lookout for those who are open to your gift and who can benefit from your story. I AM the Lord your God. I will bring them across your path at just the right time. Seize the opportunity.
Your writing will crystallize for you the areas of practical application of My Word and will be a way of creating tools others can use to take it and run with it. As I told you many years ago, back when you thought I meant to write at that time, don’t worry about the details of how this will all come together. I have been working this process of encouragement out in your life for years and now’s the time for you to capture it before it eludes you again.
Look through your Bible for significant scriptures and dates. Intentionally bring back to your mind key concepts that have gotten you through tough times. Listen to your own testimony. People will relate to you in your struggles and benefit from your experience with Me. I will encourage them through you. The weight of it is on Me… and I can handle it.
You have seen me do this through you as you sink yourself into coaching, teaching, and group facilitation. You really have experienced being fully alive as we’ve partnered together. Now do you dare to believe that we can do this together? Remember that I went to great heights and depths to reclaim this plunder from the enemy for this very purpose… so you can use your gift to make a difference through insightful and creative ideas. Leave no room for doubt. People will grow as a result. They will move forward with Me. I will be glorified and you will be fulfilled. Don’t allow yourself to be discouraged by a perceived or anticipated lack of results. That particular harvest is up to Me and I truly believe you will be pleasantly surprised at what I can do with just plain Vicki fully surrendered to Me.”
With a letter from God like that, how can I not do this blog?
TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT
- Now what about you? What action are you inspired to take to be a good steward of your gift and your story?
- What support do you need to put into place to make it happen… as much as it is up to you?
Let’s put our vision into action and enjoy this harvest together!